Have you inherited less than expected?

If you have received less inheritance than you believe you are entitled to, then you may be able to arrange for the estate to be redistributed in your favour.

By law, we all have the right to leave our estate to whoever we choose through our Will. However, if someone has been excluded for a Will who could have reasonably expected to have received an inheritance, then the law allows them to make a claim against the estate.

The law in question is called the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependents) Act 1975. It allows for only certain categories of people to make a claim. They are:

  • Children of the deceased
  • Someone who has been treated as a child of the deceased (for example, a stepchild)
  • An ex-spouse or civil partner if they have not remarried
  • Spouses and civil partners
  • Someone who was financially dependent on the deceased prior to their death.

The law in this area evolves quickly, and requires very specific specialist expertise. We can help with an initial appraisal of your grievance. If you decide to proceed we will put you in touch with a case manager within one of our specialist partners, to take your case forward.

Contact us for an initial discussion on your concerns

Email: contact@phoenixwillsandprobate.co.uk

Use the contact form on our site here

Phone: 01623 325035